Monday, August 15, 2011

a Monday afternoon

Sometimes it only needs a very little journey to change how I view the city I live in. Today was one of those trips: two hours in an electric boat (powered by green energy), motoring around the canals of the inner city. It was the first day of full sun for so long. Literally the perspective changes, being suddenly so much lower down in the water.
view from the boat   

It was a Monday afternoon, it felt deliciously naughty to take the afternoon off on a working day. 

Seeing the familiar from a different angle makes it look new. This was pioneering when built and the rivets are still magnificent. It is much beloved amongst film location hunters and it forms the backdrop to several war movies. It was mechanized a few years ago so that the bridge men no longer have to crank it open. It still clunks satisfactorily as it moves and bounces gently when the bridge lands back in place after opening. It doesn't matter how long I live here, it always cheers me to see bridges and boats working together like this and I'll wait patiently for the road to open again.
along the Amstel
 This is the city as created for the tourists: lovely wood bridges edged with a lace of lightbulbs.

1 comment:

  1. Love this so much Lillian. An urban place from its waterways is always such a treat. I wish I was next to you with the sun on our faces and the waves of the occasional passerby.
    Hub and I are headed to the Kankakee River today to do some canoeing. I will think of you.
    We are back together and going to have some couple fun today.

    ReplyDelete