Sunday, September 5, 2010

Hurricane Earl

Lighthouse at Woody Point
That was one of the worst flights I have had in a long time. Hurricane Earl had sent us some deep airpockets, it felt like wild helter-skelter, body surfing. I knew it was bad when the co-pilot/ air steward admitted how pleased he was to have landed safely...

I was really touched how kind people are here: I was guided to my exit from the TransCanada by a friend of one of my fellow passengers. The highway was covered in water and he was concerned that I might aquaplane as I wasn't used to the road.

Today the sky smiled and the sun was warm. The wind was huge and gusting as it carried the end of the hurricane with it. Driving to Woody Point from Deer Lake made me realise just how different the scale is here. It really is huge. I drove through wooded hills and vistas of further ones until I reached the water's edge where the landscape broke open into light-filled communities dipping in the bay. Woody Point is the last town on this road and apparently has a population of 355, today that increased to 356 while I am here.
Storm drains waiting to be installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment