Tuesday, September 28, 2010

the art of packing

The residency is nearly at an end and now I needed to focus on how the artwork was getting home. I spent the day in Corner Brook. I got a lift and had a really enjoyable day as a result. It could have been totally miserable on my own. Particularly as the plumbing store was reluctant to sell anything to me at all and could only think of problems. Fortunately Sharon knew her daughter's building supplies firm would help, they were excellent. The drawings are so big that they are rolled into a huge industrial tube (a cardboard roll used for casting in-situ concrete pillars) topped with two sewerpipe caps.

I had an educational experience going to "box stores" as they are referred to here. The raw, fluorescent strip lighting flattens everything and adds a surreal, burnished glow to the colours. Strangely I genuinely enjoy these places, especially if I have no vital need to be there but I can relish the enormity of the place. It is not the prettiest of environments but it is a necessary part of living here. Woody Point is beautifully isolated but specialized shopping means a three hour round trip to Corner Brook. The same is true of the hospital.
It did nothing but rain from lunchtime onwards. When we returned in the afternoon I found the view had disappeared again.

No comments:

Post a Comment